Saturday, August 6, 2011

Memories...

So my very first foray into historical costuming was in 1989-1990 when I met a girl in my history class that dressed up for fun!  While I can't remember specifics.  We used historical patterns to make drawers, chemise, corset and shirt.  We made FROM SCRATCH WITH NO INSTRUCTIONS hoop skirts, ruffled petticoats a la Scarlett and skirts...


The photos of us at the Azaela Trail in the spring follow.  As Cady would say "No judgements." 



The skirt and top are made out of very thin (almost lawn). The chemise and drawers were made of muslin.  The corset was made out of duck. The ruffled petticoat was made out of old sheets...

I also remember wearing this dress at a reenactment... There was a Civil War POW camp near where I grew up and while its a long story - I had family incarcerated there.  So I was asked to "come visit papa" and bring him blankets and food...  (I don't know who the actor was - but he totally liked the fried chicken I brought him in the basket.)

1 comment:

  1. You look super-cute! And pretty amazing for a first foray into historical costuming! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete