Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Why I love Fall...

This is the most wonderful time of the year.  (I don't care what the song says!)  This is the year that all my co-workers are sharing the bounty of their harvests.  Today the boss brought in apples.  Golden something or other (not delicious).  So I grabbed some to make apple cobbler with.  I use a recipe that I found in high school.  For those of you who went to school with me and didn't go to the foreign language symposium (neaner neaner - you totally missed out)

The recipe (McCalls, 1963)

French Apple Cobbler
Filling:
5 cups peeled sliced tart apples
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbs flour
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1tbs butter
Batter:
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbs soft butter (room temp)
1 egg, slightly beaten

light or whipped cream

Preheat oven 375 degrees
In medium bowl combine apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, vanilla & 1/4 cup water.  Put in a 9x9 baking dish, dot apples with butter.  To make batter, combine all ingredients and beat with wooden spoon (I don't know why - just do it) until smooth.  Drop batter into 9 portions on apples, space evenly.  Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is golden-brown.

Serve warm with cream.

~~~~~
Now the best part of this recipe is that the smell IS. SO. GOOD. Its good enough that my husband (gods bless him) that doesn't even like desert says that it smells wonderful and is one of his favorite smells.

Now, the apples I used are probably not tart, but I think it will be amazing anyway.  I wish I had smell-o-vision.

No comments:

Post a Comment