I've been very busy sewing and not posting. I have almost completed a corset. I'm using a Butterick pattern as my base. I'm actually very excited about this corset pattern as I can make a 18th century corset too!
I'm making the bottom right style and using a boning style inspired by the blue corset in Victoria and Albert's Underwear: Fashion in Detail page 86 & 87.
I have decided to use a layer of white coutil, a layer of twill on the inside and I found in my stash some pretty cotton print for the fashion fabric.
I have to say I had a lot of trepidation cutting into $25/yard coutil. I "could" have purchased it cheaper, but that almost always includes a minimum purchase that is/was >$25 and/or purchase 5 or more yards of coutil. While I like to sew, I don't see me making too many more corsets...
Although I'm familiar with bagging the inside layer to make it smooth, I've decided to make this in a way that's easier to alter. I'm currently working on covering the grommets with a button hole stitch to make the corset a) prettier and b) make the lacing move through the grommets more smoothly.
|close up of fashion fabric|
|One side pieced together (before grommets)|
Grommets are time consuming. It took 4 hours to punch holes and place the grommets in this corset. Keep in mind that I was grommeting (and now sewing) through 6 layers of fabric. In this pattern the back seam is folded over for the grommets. I was also fortunate enough (or at least my arthritic hands were) to be able to use my friends grommet setter.
I will post photos later of the finished corset and when letting my fingers rest I'm working on making a corded petticoat - but more on that later.